As new moms we are bombarded with the number of “things” we need. In reality we and our little ones don’t need a heck of a lot. I have, however, definitely discovered and been pointed in the direction of a few items that I have fallen in love with (in no particular order). If you have any questions about any of them, feel free to ask!
- Chariot Jogging Stroller – Freedom! When Max was around 6 weeks old we started going out in his fancy CX Chariot. We both LOVE it. He loves the fresh air and movement, and I love to get my legs moving. You can buy many different attachments, and I can’t wait to hit the ski trails with him in tow this winter.
- Baby Carriers Sleepy Wrap/Manduca – When Max was first born we kept him snuggled in his sleepy wrap. The stretch fabric was comfy for him and us. As he got a little older, we started using the Manduca carrier more. The Manduca has been amazing for everything from long walks and hikes in the Rockies to making dinner. I even tried carrying my almost 3 year old neice in it, and she and I were as comfy as could be!
- Bravado Nursing bras/Tanks – I basically live in these. The tanks are comfy and fit through the last bit of pregnancy. They offer great support and have turned into my favourite workout top.
- Bummies Cloth Diapers (prefolds) – We started off cloth diapering Max right away with the infant size. The cloth pre-folds not only worked great, but now I use them as a pad for my other leaky breast when feeding Max at home. They are very reasonably priced, and make great clean-up rags when their diapering days are done.
- Woombie Donut – A friend of mine recommended this, and although it isn’t promoted for co-sleeping it was the perfect thing. The woombie donut is a little portable donut like bed. The edges kept Max from rolling and it was the perfect companion for traveling and bed-sharing. I couldn’t track them down in Canada, so ended up ordering it from the U.S. It isn’t cheap, but it was very convenient as it allowed Max to have a comfortable nap anywhere. And I just saw that they are making a new toddler sized one!
- Yoga Today – I’m not a big yogini, but I found a little bit of yoga was the perfect thing to start getting my body back into shape and making me feel human again. Yoga Today is a library of hundreds of on-line classes that you can either stream or download. Membership is about 10$ a month for unlimited access, or, there is a free class available every week. It was perfect for moving and toning my body just a little bit. I loved that I didn’t have to leave my living room or feel awkward about not being able to touch my toes in front of a class full of gurus who could put their ankles around their ears. Sometimes I did a bit of yoga during Max’s nap time and sometimes I would put Max in a chair and he would watch me move.
- Oat Cakes – My great-grandma made these for my mom when she was nursing twins, and my mom made them for me. They were the perfect midnight snack, and people say that oatmeal is good for your milk production . Here is our family recipe:
5 cups rolled oats
3 cups flour
1 lb lard
1 1/2 cups demera sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
Milk as needed1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix all dry ingredients and cut in lard using fingers
3. Moisten mixture with milk in order to make a dough that can be rolled and cut
4. Sprinkle flour on dry surface and using a rolling pin roll the dough to 1/2 inch thick and cut into rounds using a cookie cutter. Place on prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake in moderate oven until nicely browned (sorry you’ve got to watch these as I can’t remember how long they stay in!)
- Medela Breast Pump – Another post I want to start with the word freedom! I received the Pump in Style pump as a gift, and it has been wonderful to pump a bottle now and then so I could leave Max with his daddy! We travel from Ottawa to Toronto a lot, and its been nice to have bottles available on the road so we didn’t have to pull over every time Max wanted a snack. I plan on having a supply ready for when I go back to work, and as we start to go out more and more, it’s going to be wonderful to leave a babysitter with bottles of breastmilk. (Ok ok I confess, it was also great to have some pumped bottles ready so I could enjoy a few wine tastings on our trip to the Okanagan).
- Hand me.-me-downs – It’s truly amazing how fast our babies grow…at 3.5 months, Max is almost out of his 3-6 month clothing. We were so lucky to receive fabulous hand-me-downs from some fabulous people (thank you again!!). If you know people willing to pass on some of their kids’ clothing you will save a small fortune!
- IPad– I have fallen in love with this device and I am slightly addicted. I can read books and watch movies, connect with other moms over twitter, and read and write emails. On those days when I was feeling a little detached from reality, it’s allowed me to connect with the world around me. It’s fantastically portable and has a camera and video camera for catching those moments you don’t want to miss.
Please leave comments about your favourite things for new moms! I’d love to hear about them 🙂